Sunday, May 3, 2009

Agilo for scrum

Agilo for Scrum is an open source, web-based tool to support the Scrum process. It is developed and maintained by agile42, and supports Scrum Teams, Scrum Master, Product Owner and the main ceremonies and artifacts (copied from wikipedia ;) ).
It's free that's what makes appealing compared to Rally and ScrumWorks
Agilo also offers online hosting for your projects.

What's not stated in the website is what a tremendous task is to install this software. I usually give my thumbs down for a software that makes it difficult for me to work with. If its difficult to install, imagine the software itself to use it or the customer support.
Anyway I thought I'll give it a shot... my other opinion regarding open source is that they make it difficult or documentation sucks so you buy their services either consultancy or hosting... Nothing against Agile42 but across the years this is my experience with OSS.

In favour of Agilo, I have to state that I never used Python before. Anyway I found this link which made the installation less painful.

I just need to add the following points or make it more clear to round up what's nicely described in the stated link.

1. Agilo needs Trac to work with and in turn Trac works with Python 2.5. My first attempt before finding the above link was to install the latest version of Python :(
2. I had to install Setuptools to get it working.
3. Adding a user to trac
C:\Python25\Scripts>trac-digest.py -u username -p password >> "C:\Program Files\
Apache Software Foundation\Apache2.2\htdocs\trac\passwords.txt"

Add to administrators
C:\Python25\Scripts>trac-admin.exe "C:\Program Files\Apache Software Foundation\
Apache2.2\htdocs\trac" permission add maab TRAC_ADMIN

3. You can test the installation of trac before setting up Apache with the following command:
C:\Python25\Scripts>tracd-script.py -p 8000 --auth=trac,"C:\Program Files\Apache
Software Foundation\Apache2.2\htdocs\trac\passwords.txt",trac "C:\Program Files
\Apache Software Foundation\Apache2.2\htdocs\trac"

4. This is how I configured Apache
LoadModule python_module modules/mod_python.so


SetHandler mod_python
PythonInterpreter main_interpreter
PythonHandler trac.web.modpython_frontend
PythonOption TracEnv "C:/Program Files/Apache Software Foundation/Apache2.2/htdocs/trac"
PythonOption TracUriRoot /trac


That's all, good luck!

I haven't used the software extensively so far but it looks promising.

No comments:

Post a Comment